kitty pi

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Les livres - ca coute cher!

Oy vey! I just found out that my textbooks for my French 3 class are $150. For two lousy paperback books. That's on top of the $82 for the biology text, I need. I know I need this class but... crikey! I guess I'll be eating ramen for lunch again for the next two weeks.

What I want to know is, how do the textbook-selling-people manage to persuade the school-teaching-people to try a new freaking edition every goddamn semester? You can't possibly find the new edition as a used book, therefore saving a little cash, and if you find it on Half.com, you only save like 3 bucks which is then spent on the shipping charges. Brilliant! What a racket. Of course, the best part comes at the end of the semester when you go to sell the book back and they tell you that they won't be using that book again next semester, or they are overstocked, or some other nonsense and you're lucky if you get back $10 on your $150 investment. Wow. I love higher education!

Maybe if I had gone to college when I was supposed to, the books wouldn't have seemed so expensive. Of course, everything is relative so it's probably exactly the same.

C'est la vie!

1 comment(s):

Most instructors, when pressed, will tell you if they are using anything from the new edition or not. If the book doesn't have Q & A sections, then the edition matters less. If there are questions (Math, for instance) then the numbering can get messed up.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:34 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home