kitty pi

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

How many is too many?

I am not obsessive-compulsive but I do lean a little that way. 
For example, you know how you write a post-it note for someone that says "call me" or "sign this and return to me asap", et cetera, and you stick it on a contract, bill, or a whatever?  It could be for anyone.  Doesn't matter who.  Do you ever write it more than once?

I can write a note consisting of 5 or fewer words but spend 3 minutes writing it and go through 5 or 10 post-it notes (refer to my earlier post about being wasteful) until I get everything just right.  The type and color of ink, the handwriting, the position of the writing on the paper, the color of the post-it or paper, everything has to be exactly how I want it.

How long do people spend reading my notes? Probably a nanosecond.  Which I guess is why I want it to be as excellent as possible - because they'll only have a glimpse of it and a glimpse of niceness is better than a glimpse of sloppiness.  Isn't it?

Admittedly, some people admire my handwriting, so I do have a mini-reputation at stake but no one really knows that I do this.   Is this extreme note-writing behavior?  Do I need professional help?  Are there any other people who labor over something so simple?   Maybe we can start a support group.  Post-it note Perfectionists Anonymous.  Rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it?

4 comment(s):

It's not obsesive compulsive if others do it. Left-handers do it too:) So, it can't be that bad. For me, it has to be as straight as possible and as perfect as my handwriting allows.

Like Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory. Never read the Portrait of Dorien Gray, but have resently been adviced to read it. More into Kurt Vonegut. Cure = make funny faces in the mirror and take pictures of yourself doing handstands in odd places until cops tell you otherwise. Good luck;)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:31 PM  

If you have a mini-reputation, then it isn't a problem. Mini-reputations can turn into full-fledged reputations and must therefore be nurtured.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:23 PM  

"Is this extreme note-writing behavior?"

Ummm...I am leaning towards a "yes" on that one, but then again, sometimes a post-it is just a post-it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:25 AM  

Hi, I'm Chris and I have a Post-It problem. I do the same thing...I'm not sure why but I think it mostly revolves around my handwriting and making sure its perfect. When I write Post-Its for myself I could care less. For other people, it takes a while.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:50 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home