kitty pi

Thursday, February 03, 2005

won't you take me to funkytown

The vending machine at work just made me smile.  Well, IT didn't make me smile but something in it did.  Since Mr. Quilty works with dying people I have learned that my "problems" never add up to much, especially compared to some, so I embrace the little things and try to appreciate every detail that I can. 
 
I had a pretty crappy childhood (who didn't?) and for years and years and years I totally perseverated on how bad it was.  It has taken a long time to grieve about it and accept it and just get over myself and all the destructive self-pity that comes with being a big, whiny baby.  Happily, I've been on the road to good mental health for quite some time.  As Martha would say, "it's a good thing". 
 
Anyway, a few minutes ago I foggily and light-headedly went to the vending machine to cure my low blood sugar situation.   I decided to spring for the $1.75 Quaker Instant Oatmeal, Baked Apple Flavor even though I think I probably have a packet of plain oatmeal in my cubicle somewhere that I could make for a late breakfast/early lunch.  Whatever.  It was totally cool that I did because as I'm looking at the wide-array of incredibly nutritious snacks in the vending machine, I spy a bag of  Andy Capp's Cheddar Fries.  I haven't seen those in these parts ever and I don't think I've seen them since I was a kid. 
 
I was instantly transported back to 6th grade when we'd spend Friday nights at the skating rink listening to Funkytown and YMCA and drinking "suicides" and eating Jolly Rancher "fire stix" and showing off our impressive roller skating skills.  Those were skills that I would take to my first job as a roller-skating carhop. 
 
I actually remembered something nice.  I love when that happens.  I did have fun when I was a kid! 
 
That is encouraging and gives me something to store in my brain for when I get Alzheimers. 
 

1 comment(s):

Unfortunatly for me, my roller skating memories of childhood center around the time that I had to go to the bathroom and I skated over to the little boys room. I opened the door only to find the lights were turned off... I searched frantically for the light switch, my anxiety increasing as my need to go did, until finally, to no avail, I took a giant doody in my pants.

The worst part was I had to wait there for an hour until my mom could come pick me up.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:25 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home