kitty pi

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Wouldn't you like to be a blogger, too?

I was pleased to read this post at SRWU which reinforced everything I've been feeling about my blog 'speriment. I have always enjoyed a small group of friends, some years smaller than others, but usually I have 3 or 4 people who I enjoy hanging out with and talking to. The same thing is happening here. I love my readers right now. And I love what Dylan said in his post:
In looking back, it is apparent to me what I wanted was an audience. Blogging provided the mix of those two things: A chance to write what I want, and the ability to bounce it off of other people.

And it is because the audience, once first achieved, doesn't remain an audience: it becomes a community. The communal aspect of the blogs are what make them go.

I feel like that is starting to happen. And it really does give me warm fuzzies! (Warm fuzzies from the internet? Who knew?) Anyway, I read and read and read. But I'm still (a little bit)afraid to write. Most days, I check the high priority blogs first, the ones where I am truly intrigued by what they will say next, followed by the ones I like to read but can go a whole day or two without checking in. Often, the ones I admire seem so intelligent, articulate or cool, I am intimidated to try to compete. Or I am afraid that I will come off looking like a copycat. Whatever. I need to get over myself! 'Cause sometimes (sadly) it is the highlight of my work day to see my little email popup with a comment, too!

So, three things for today.
Thanks for reading and commenting (especially the commenting).
Thanks for giving us (me) a peek inside your world.
Thanks for providing a little inspiration each day!

You rock!

2 comment(s):

The "feeling like you have to compete" aspect of things, I totally understand.

One of the first blogs I ran across was Mighty Girl and I fell in love with it. Maggie was SO cool, and SO funny and insightful. I remember thinking I wanted to write just like her, but that I would never be able to live up.

And then, I ran across one of her archives in which she said something to the effect of "I normally try to avoid meeting writers who I love because they almost always don't end up as neurotic and intelligent in person as they seem on the page, and I don't want people to think that about me, so I normally try to avoid having people meet me too!" It was then that I realized that the people who write the blogs are just people, even the bonafied stars like Maggie.

After that I was able to focus on making the blog what I wanted. The community that I have and the practice of writing has made it what it is, and at some point it took on a life of its own.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:19 PM  

I think I should thank you as well. And you're right about the audience. Although, it seems more like a sense of validation I'm looking for. Its nice to see that you're not alone in your opinions, that some of the things you think about yourself are true while others are very much false. Overall its been a very positive experience for me and I hope it is for you.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:30 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home