kitty pi

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Calling all Philosophers

NPR : This I Believe

I meant to post this the other day. I was totally inspired by a piece on NPR. Impossible, you say? I know. It's so rare.

"Fifty years ago, Helen Keller, Jackie Robinson and Harry Truman, along with thousands of everyday citizens, answered a call to express their beliefs in a national forum. Now it's your turn."

Since all of my readers, in addition to having very good taste in the things that they read, are also very articulate and intelligent (which is totally a reflection of me! But I digress), I think you would be ideal candidates to submit an essay about what you believe. If nothing else, reading the essays should prove to be very thought-provoking.

Now, I know that most of us try to be witty, irreverent, cynical to varying degrees, and so on, but I believe that not far below the surface, an introspective, sensitive, compassionate, and deeply philosophical person is aching to be liberated. I know you have something inspirational to say and that it would be a travesty to withhold it from the common people.

According to NPR, all essays will be archived. Some will be read by the author and aired nationally. Personally, I think just having an essay in the archive would be an honor.

"But," you say, "this is too much like a high school/college assignment." I know, but your essay will be among other essays written by people of high esteem and intelligence. How cool is that?

So, I propose that you at least read the essays, and write one if you are so inclined. I am still mulling over the idea for myself, but I will publish it here if I do decide to.

1 comment(s):

i can't believe i said mpr...i meant to say npr....anyways they sounds the same and when u told me this happened i thought it reminded me of the multi purpose room at school...kinda random

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:37 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home