kitty pi

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Ms. Q Goes (Back) to College

So, last night I went back to school. Having gotten my lower division out of the way last May (finally) it’s on to Higher Learning. So far, all I know is that I need to be *high* just to deal with the traffic and parking. That? Was a nightmare, and I am not exaggerating. It took one hour and 10 minutes to go 20 miles. Not awesome. I was hating humanity with every fiber of my being. Southern California traffic – it’s legendary but come on! Anyway, I finally made it to campus and, magically, the stress melted away and I went to class and I was in another world. I love being on campus. It’s such a soothing place to me. It’s like Tiffany’s to Holly Golightly. I always feel like nothing too terrible can happen to me when I am there. It’s a hopeful place. A full-of-promise place. A make-your-dreams-come-true place.

[Of course, I am the first person in my family to seriously go to college so I am pretty idealistic about it. But I don’t apologize for being sappy. That is how I feel. Sue me!]

After going to community college for what seemed like a hundred years, I am now at a real, honest-to-goodness university – the 4-year kind! Woot! I really didn’t ever think I would end up here.

I am very grateful for my two-year college experience. I met some great professors and had fun learning new things and new ways to look at the world. For a second, I was going to compare the two different schools but now I realize that is totally unfair. Suffice it to say, the university is way nicer, physically, than the community college and so far, after only one class, I am really excited about it.

In a somewhat ironic twist, the first class I attended was a core, general ed requirement, but it’s awesomely promising – American Studies. The prof is young, hip, very East Coast, Ivy League-educated, energetic, and very enthusiastic about the subject and the result of that is: I am now very enthusiastic about the class. I am easy, y’all – just pretend to be excited about something and I am so there! I think it is going to be very interesting and challenging. Not in the algebra kind of way where you want to slit your wrists, but in the ‘make you think’ kind of way.

What I like about American Studies is that it looks at the cultural history of America and how ordinary people lived. I already know who the famous, influential people were – presidents and such – what I’ve always been interested in was how common folk lived and how they influenced history.

Tomorrow, I do the whole thing over again for my other two classes – Descriptive Linguistics and then Human Growth & Development. I just hope traffic is a little bit easier. It certainly couldn’t be worse! (I know. I just jinxed it.)

5 comment(s):

Congrats on your triumphant return to academia. Enjoy. And good luck with the traffic.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:39 AM  

Congrats, Q. It's a wonderful thing that you're doing. I think you mentioned before, but I don't remember: what university are you at now?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:42 PM  

Good luck with your classes and the traffic. I'm wishing real hard for your car to grow wings so that you can breeze by those other traffic suckers and laugh! Ha!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:38 PM  

Congratulations- enjoy it!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:00 PM  

Congratulations aspiring scholar. Don't forget you are there for a good time, not a long time! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:58 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home