kitty pi

Friday, August 19, 2005

Full Moon Fumbles, or: The tale of Butterfinger Bernie


I have done vast amounts of research and I am skeptical of the alleged effects of the full moon. Except that I see the effects every month and they are hard for me to dispute. I also see them to a lesser degree during the new moon. Anyway.

There are the rowdy neighbors who become rowdier this time of the month, and my husband's insomnia which gets worse this time of month, but I prefer to notice the more subtle effects. Case in point: starting yesterday I became a little more klutzy. In other words, I drop things a lot. ASB also admitted to having a similar problem on Wednesday. I didn't think much of it. In fact, I pretty much chalked it up to hormones and/or having a difficult week myself.

But then, last night, me and the Mr. went out to dinner (in a REAL restaurant). I ordered a coke (note: "coke" is Texan for a soft drink) and after finishing the first one, I sucked on my straw until it made that funny/rude noise and thought, "geez, Bernie (our waiter was named Bernie) sure is inattentive". We had gotten a lovely, secluded and very cozy booth and it was divine. Except the wait staff kept forgetting we were there. And it was so cozy me and the Mr. kept kicking each other in the shins and stepping on each other's toes. It was a very nice restaurant nonetheless.

I had a point. What was it? Oh yeah. Well, Bernie came whizzing around the corner and did his patented "walk by quick grab" of my ice-filled but liquid-free glass which I had conveniently set near the edge of the table. Well, Bernie had butterfingers and proceeded to drop and then bobble the glass of ice until it landed squarely in my lap.

He wasn't much more coordinated when he tried to pick ice out of my lap. It was everywhere and Bernie was profusely apologizing. Mr. Q uttered a choice word and I just sat there like a dumbass not knowing what to do. I delicately picked the remaining ice out of my lap and Bernie cleaned up the rest.

Hey, it's not the first time a server spilled on me and it's probably not the last. But I am curious if people notice a more klutzy general public during the full moon? I'm pretty much a full-time klutz, but it seems a bit more pronounced right now. If I have to choose between complete lunacy or klutziness, I'll take the klutziness. At least it's entertaining.

6 comment(s):

Yeah, I notice it a bit more myself too.

This morning, I needed to get gas before heading to the drive-thru Starbucks, lest my gas-guzzler decide to conk out on me while waiting in line for 20 minutes (isn't the drive-thru supposed to save time?). While at the gas station, I decide to get a quicky car wash.

When my car was all dry (at least I thought), I gunned it out of the parking lot hoping to make it through the green light and achieve Starbucks nirvana a little sooner, but apparently my tires were too wet and soapy to understand my need for caffeine. I proceeded to lose traction entirely coming out of the driveway, and ended up facing the wrong direction on the other side of the street.

No injuries or anything. Nothing really happened, other than embarrassment. However, stuff like this seems to happen to me way more often during the full/new moon. So, that's like 6 days each month, so it seems almost normal.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:32 PM  

God, I wouldn't know. I'm a COMPLETE klutz anyway. On the way out here? I missed my mouth with a whole handful of Nerds while I was driving, and shot them into the back seat.

I will say this though. I used to work with psychiatric patients, and I could always tell when the full moon was, just from their behavior.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:10 PM  

Can't speak about the klutziness factor. But when my dad was still alive he worked at Buick world headquarters as a supervisor in the customer service dept. He had all sorts of great stories about nuts who called, but he and his best friend, Tom, another sup in the dept. swore that the weirdest damn calls they got were the mornings after there had been a full moon. And they weren't kidding.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:08 AM  

I was a bartender for ten years and now I'm a nurse in an ER. I promise you that people are affected by the full moon. I can't tell you how many times I would notice a high weidness factor and mention it to other employees (at both jobs) when someone would tell me it was a full moon. I finally got calendars with the moon phases so I could brace myself. I swear it is so true.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:25 PM  

I read something somewhere once that said more babies are conceived and born under full or new moons.

We had a doozy of one the other day...you know where it hangs low in the sky and looks gargantunormous?

Really pretty.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:23 PM  

The full moon must mean something, because my baby horses are ALWAYS born on the full moon, no matter what their actual due date was.

My stepmom is a nurse and she said the accidents and stuff coming in about tripled on the full moon.

I don't notice too much myself, but I do like to stand outside and watch it rise!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home