kitty pi

Friday, September 02, 2005

Inadequate

I continue to feel completely deficient in adequately expressing how I feel about the devastation and complete lack of response to Hurricane Katrina.

My thoughts today (adapted from an email to a friend this morning):

All I can do is smack my forehead and think 'oh my god, I didn't think
[Bush] could reach new levels of insensitivity and stupidity'.

The only "positive" thing from this, and I use that word hesitantly, is that we now have a HUGE number of poor people that he can't ignore. I am sure that he can't wait until this nightmare is over and he can go back to ignoring them. The working poor in this country in large part make it possible for him to live his life of luxury and it makes me sick that he and his cronies have made their millions at the expense of a decent standard of living for others in this country.

AND THIS IS HOW HE REPAYS THEM. By sending military convoys to help out. FIVE DAYS AFTER THE FACT. Motherfucking useless piece of shit.

Not to keep harping on the difference between September 11 and now, but I find it so interesting how well we managed to reopen Wall Street and get things back to normal when the world's largest financial center was attacked but a bunch of mostly poor, undereducated minorities are still in the dark, figuratively and literally, wondering when BASIC help will arrive. This is appalling beyond my wildest imagination.

I still feel that the media has slightly over hyped the violence, that the majority of people there are just trying to survive and are cooperating as best they can and trying desperately to just hang on. For every idiot out there with a gun, wrecking it for others, there are 100 people who are helping each other out. And trying to make a nightmare situation better.

Other people have said it much better than me. There is no shortage of commentary on the “Internets” today and I am glued to my computer reading it all and taking it all in.

Michele at
A Small Victory has some excellent stuff. There is so much more, but I like that she is organizing an effort and trying to focus on the positives.

Update: In a totally unexpected turn of events, my co-worker, Katrina just offered half of her ham and cheese croissant to me for lunch. I didn't know what I was going to eat for lunch today. Ham and cheese croissants are one of my favoritest things in the world. How nice!

8 comment(s):

I too can't believe that all of these people have been ignored for five days. I am fighting to remember that for almost two days after the storm almost nothing was known about the thousands of people at the convention center. I know that I'm monday morning quarter-backing but why couldn't a disaster planner have foreseen that a large group of people in the lower socio-economic class be left behind because they don't have cars and rely heavily on public transportation. If this was a similarly sized disaster in Utah, there would've been water and food raining down from military planes instead of hundreds of M.P.s going in before any real aid was offered.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:36 PM  

As you know, I've been on about it for a few days now too...

Hopefully this will be a lesson to everyone about voting next time.

I found the name of your frined who gave you the sandwhich ironic. :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:17 PM  

I hate that man and his hateful administration with a withering passion. Let's all keep the words of disgust flowing.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:58 PM  

Sad part is ... there are 3 more years left of Bush :(

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:47 PM  

I kept hoping one of those snipers in NO would take a shot at him instead of the relief workers, but I doubt Cheney would be much better.

-Bonanza

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:06 PM  

I agree. I have been feeling so helpless with all of this, on the flip side... it makes you feel grateful for everything that you have.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:52 PM  

All I have to say is that if this had been an election year, or if the hurricane had been heading towards brother Jeb's Florida or Chimpy's ranch in Crawford, TX, you can bet your sweet patoot that there'd have been a shockingly immediate response from Dear Leader. He does, after all, have some priorities.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:33 AM  

I am so with you - I wept at that interview with Mayor Nagin. I ****loathe**** that murderous republican president of ours.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:03 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home