kitty pi

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Q&A with Q

The fabulous LJ of MooAlex fame was dying to found it in her heart to interview me as part of the Interview Me Game. This is the trend that is sweeping the nation.

The rules are simple:

The Interview Me Game Rules.
1. If you want to participate, leave a comment below saying, "interview me."
2. I will respond by asking you five questions - each person's will be different.
3. You will update your journal/blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the part where I was the interviewee...

1. Why do you blog?

Considering that the word ‘blog’ is now a verb, but my grammar check thinks it is a noun, I will now embrace the fact that I do something so new that Bill Gates hasn’t even caught on.

The short answer is…
I blog for (my own) entertainment. I blog for therapy. I blog to make new friends. Blogs are like diaries but better because they are interactive and dynamic, and they won’t burn up in a fire.

Never content to give a short answer, here’s more. I love this medium for the simple fact that I can have a circle of friends and acquaintances that come from every walk of life and every continent on earth. I learn so much about myself through writing and I feel connected to others through their writing.

Blogging gives me the perspective I need to take life a little less seriously. Since I am prone to major malcontentedness, this ensures that I will at least laugh at myself once a day, if not more. It is a great creative outlet and a great forum for venting life’s little annoyances that otherwise get bottled up and end with me crumpled up on the couch having a big old crying jag for no real reason.

Another reason I blog–I get to feel like I am a published author somehow, even if only a few dozen people read my writing. For frustrated writers, or writers with little gumption to find a literary agent, it’s a great substitute for taking the risk and being rejected. Also, since I don’t get paid to do this (yet), I have the freedom to write whatever I want, however I want, or nothing at all. In addition to that, I used to read articles and think, “I can do better than that”. Now I know better. It’s harder than it looks!

This is going to sound trite but it is true. I like to think that I blog in order to be a better human being. Anyone can piss and moan; I prefer to piss and moan and then figure out how I am going to make something better.

2. You are shipwrecked on a deserted island. All of your human needs - such as food and water - are available. Name one item/person you want to have with you in each of the following categories: celebrity male, celebrity female, music (assume you have a way to play it), candy bar, and sex toy.

Celebrity Male: Jon Stewart, because I want to think AND laugh.
Celebrity Female: Maggie Gyllenhaal, because she is hot.
Music: Right now, I am going to say Death Cab for Cutie because I just got their new CD and I love it and want to get to know it intimately. But normally, I’d have to say the Beatles or John Lennon.
Candy Bar: Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups; they’ve been my favorite since the beginning of time.
Sex Toy: Johnny Depp. Oh, I bet you meant another kind of sex toy. Doesn’t Johnny count? ;)

3. What one person has been the biggest influence on your life thus far and why?

My husband has been the biggest influence on my life thus far. He basically helped me see that I was lovable and brilliant and beautiful. By listening to my incessant whining for 10 years, but always saying, “So? Do something about it” and always giving me the kick in the ass that I needed, I became truly empowered.

He went with me to enroll in college for the first time (many, many years ago). He loaned me money when I couldn’t afford to go register or buy books. He took me out and cheered me up when life was almost too much to bear. He listened to my ramblings. He sent me mix tapes when I lived far away. He visited me in far away places. He was always brutally honest about what a twit I was being. He shared his hopes and dreams with me. He took risks and accepted the consequences. He taught me how to treat myself with dignity, respect, love and a huge dose of humility. He showed me how to put others before self.

I could go on and on. But you get the picture. He is a rock star, movie star, world-class philosopher and a sage, all wrapped up in a really cute package. I would not be where I am today, if not for him.

Also, he always gets me to like songs that I didn’t originally like (such as Beck’s new song “Girl”). All he has to do is say “I like that song” and I’m hooked. He has extreme powers over me!

4. If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you?

Parker Posey is the first person I thought of to play me in the Hollywood film of my life. Why? She’s probably the closest thing to the real me that I’ve seen. I think we have similar sensibilities. She is smart and funny! I love her, so I think she should do it. With my luck though I would get a David Lynchian script instead of Christopher Guest-ian script. I would like to think of my life's screenplay as a cross between Rob Reiner and Nora Ephron, with a little Woody Allen, some David Lynch thrown in just to keep things interesting, and some wacky Christopher Guest for fun.

5. If you were a salad, what kind of dressing would you have and why?

If I were a salad, I would have honey mustard dressing because that would guarantee that Mr. Q would eat me. *blush* Hmmm. That gives me an idea. Anyway, Honey Mustard dressing is tangy and slightly sweet and not everyone likes Honey Mustard so that is pretty representative of the real me, too! I am definitely an acquired taste.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now that you know more than you ever hoped wished to know about me, who wants to be interviewed? Come on - it's your chance to be really famous, or at least pretend you are!

6 comment(s):

Most. Excellent. Interview. EVER!

Seriously... really great and insightful! I love how you see things.

(And the salad dressing answer rocked! LOL)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:36 AM  

I'll bite...interview me baby.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:40 PM  

I did mine! you coulda gone easier on me, ya know.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:09 PM  

Nicely done, Q! Now you can say, for the rest of your life, that you've been interviewed!!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:29 PM  

hi, just found your blog, very nice read :) you can interview me:)
i just blog mindless stuff most of the time... drop by

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 PM  

You know... You DO look like Parker Posey.

She's a favorite actress of mine.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:34 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home