kitty pi

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Don't let this happen to you




In honor of Professional Secretaries Week, I have decided to post a couple of the funniest and most embarassing typos that I have spotted in my job as a Secretary. I capitalized the title "secretary" because it's a phenomenal pain in the ass. These grammar faux pas-eses were committed by high-level people, that is people who are in charge of Very Important Things (for example, a city or something).

"Sorry for the incontinence."

"... my sister-in-lay will be joining me in sponsoring this exciting event."

"...erotic control is achieved through the use of Best Management Practices." (should have said "erosion control").


In these three shining examples, I am fairly certain that the authors relied upon their spell-check to make them look good and probably didn't ask their assistant to help them thinking they had it under control.

On a side note, I do not like to be called an Administrative Professional or Adminstrative Assistant. Partly because when I was 20, I thought it sounded like a terrific job for a poor, white girl like me, but now I know better. Partly because it has the word "ass" in the middle. Partly because there are too many syllables. I don't know. Calling the garbage man a Sanitation Professional doesn't change the fact that he picks up our garbage.

I am a secretary. I set up meetings, make travel arrangements, research and analyze data, type letters and email sometimes, and a whole slew of other interesting things like filing and making coffee and unjamming printers and copy machines. What makes me special, aside from being incredibly cute, is I can get you a charter plane and a limo at a moment's notice. I know where to find the best hotels and how big their meeting rooms are. I have about one million phone numbers memorized. I can find anything on the internet in the blink of an eye. I am the information queen. I am a resource goddess. I am 411 and Google all wrapped up in a cute outfit. I make my bosses' lives easier and I make them look good at what they do. All of this reminds me that I really need a raise!

Anyway, today is our Secretaries Day, I mean, Administrative Professionals' Day Brunch so I am off to eat and be served by the men and women we serve all year. This is probably my favorite work day of the whole year.

Happy Tuesday, Y'all!

4 comment(s):

Enjoy your day, Q! They are few and far between - I know it well. Maybe I should talk to my boss about getting some 'spect around here!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:29 PM  

Nice - enjoy your day! My boss forgot all about it and forgot to take our Secretary out for lunch - what a louse he is!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:12 PM  

Actually, Secretaries Day is tomorrow officially. We just did our thing early here. Your boss has one more day to prove he isn't a louse!

I had a wonderful lunch today (not brunch - that was last year). I'll tell you more about it later. Maybe.

By Blogger Anita, at 5:20 PM  

great post. surfed in here from strange things. i really like the page.

happy secretaries day!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:43 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home