kitty pi

Monday, February 14, 2005

Is that supposed to be a compliment?

I know this has happened to just about everyone.

The scene: 3 hours after I arrive at work.

Co-worker who is thoughtful AND articulate: "Cute haircut!"

Random co-worker #1: "You got your hair cut."
Me: "Yes."

Ten minutes later.
Random co-worker #2: "Hey, you got your hair cut."
Me: "Yes. Thank you for being so observant."

Ten more minutes later.
Random co-worker #3: "Did you get a hair cut?"
Me: "No, I got them all cut."
RCW #3: (Blank stare).

My boss: (Three months from now) "Did you get your haircut?"

It's like a regular Mensa meeting around here.

My question is this: Is "You got a haircut" supposed to be a compliment? I have no response to you if you tell me that I got a hair cut. Of course, I was there so I remember getting it cut. It's very helpful of you to remind me though. Do they think it's ugly? If so, why say anything at all?* Do they think it's terribly brave, indulgent, retarded, or (fill in your own adjective here), of me to get my hair cut? I go through this everytime. I just don't get it!

*Once, me and CQ went to our favorite sushi place and the girl that's always there and knows our name took one look at me after a haircut and said (I kid you not) "You got your haircut. It doesn't look very good. I liked it much better the other way." "Um. Thanks?" Alas, the sushi restaurant isn't in business anymore. It couldn't have been due to the stellar customer service, could it?

4 comment(s):

Ms. Quilty,

I have been recklessly indulging in your blog for about a month now. Sometimes I'll even come by multiple times in a day to see if you've added any new off-the-cuff humor. I've really been enjoying the daily read.

That being said, I must say that I think your new 'do is just lovely (now that's an actual compliment). Quite spunky and sassy, in fact - very befitting of you, I think.

Very witty remarks regarding the "hey, you got a haircut" phenomenon. Doesn't it just irk you?

Anyway, just a note from a constant reader. Keep up the laughs!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:53 PM  

Yay! Thanks for reading. =)

By Blogger Anita, at 10:28 AM  

Hey, I know what you mean. I live for people commenting! And by the way, thanks for dropping by my site. Y'all come back now, y'hear. (I can't believe I just said that.)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:26 PM  

ok, here's a possible 'splanation for ya..

when people say "you got your hair cut," i think that statement is really more for themselves than for you. like, they're thinking out loud or something. or maybe it takes a second to "register", and saying it out loud helps. i know, because i do that sometimes.

ok, true story you just reminded me of: i was walking by a co-worker who hadn't seen me for a month or so. she asked if i had gotten a haircut...

background on me: i shave my head. i've been shaving it for 3 years. the longest it's been in those three years is, oh, probably half an inch.

back to scene with co-worker: "so, did you get a haircut?"
me: "um. yes?"

needless to say, she wasn't the most observant person i've ever met.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:34 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home