kitty pi

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

It's harder than it looks

I'm back from a mini-vacation. For my first post-break post, I mistakenly thought this would be easy. Aubrie tagged me and I am one of the fools who likes memes because, for me, they are often thought-provoking to some degree. Anyway, this is a hard one but it allowed me to drop a mini-bombshell and get that out of the way. In the latter portion of the meme, I am supposed to pick 5 things I like in various categories. Perhaps, I left my brain at home but I am having the hardest time thinking of 5 of anything. So… enjoy? I’m not tagging anyone but would love to read what you have to say in these important and revealing areas! If you do one, please let me know in the comments.

10 years ago: I was living in Hawaii (Oahu, to be exact), working and going to college. My son was 9 years old and my daughter was 6. Life was pretty good. Mr. Q and I were friends, but we were married to other people.

5 years ago: I was living in Laguna Beach and working. My son was 14 years old and living with his Dad near Seattle. My daughter was 11 years old and living with me. Mr. Q and I were living together, shacking up, as it were! Life was hard but better than ever.

1 year ago: I was living in San Clemente, working and going to college again. My son was 18 years old and going to school in Portland, OR. My daughter was 15 years old and still sweet as could be. Mr. Q and I got married!

Yesterday: Mr. Q and I took the Teenage Quilty (a.k.a., Princess Jojo) to the airport. Every summer she typically spends with her Dad, step-mom and their three daughters. They live near Seattle. This year she went up to spend the summer but this time she is planning to stay there after the summer is over. She will be attending school and, most likely, graduating from high school there. I am not equipped to discuss this now, but just know that it has been a difficult choice and that it is overwhelmingly a positive change. I miss her! She’ll be here for Christmas but… waaaaahhh.

Yesterday was also Mr. Q’s birthday! We spent the whole day together (woohoo!) and went out to dinner with his family last night. It was excellent and totally fun despite the obvious absence of the Teenage Quilty.

Today: Catch up after 4 days off. Man, that was good. I haven’t had time off in way too long. I don’t work weekends but for some reason, after only 2 days out of the office, I had about 100 emails to catch up on and I only just now finished. That was only for work! I also have a gajillion personal email messages and one-quarter of a bazillion blog posts to catch up on. If I haven’t been by yet, I’m working my way there!

Tomorrow: Who the hell knows! The world could end. I could get hit by a bus. I could win the lottery (note to self: buy lottery ticket). All we have is today! If I am still around tomorrow, I guess I’ll be paying bills and looking for a school loan, as I have to register for classes in less than 2 weeks. Yikes!

5 snacks I enjoy: Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream. That’s it. I can’t think of anything else.

5 bands that I know the lyrics of MOST of their songs: the Beatles, REM, the Smiths, Morrissey, Beth Orton.

5 things I would do with $100,000,000: I would obviously pay all of my bills, quit work and finish school travel the world. I would set up a literacy program that works and is available to everyone. And I would buy an island next to Johnny Depp’s private Caribbean island and I would buy a plane so I could fly there whenever I wanted.

5 locations I’d like to run away to:
Paris, New York, Tahiti, Johnny Depp’s private Caribbean island, anywhere with Mr. Q.

5 bad habits I have: Interrupting people; smoking; drinking too much coffee; watching too much TV; complaining about things that are not actual problems.

5 things I like doing: Mr. Q; smoking; drinking coffee; watching TV; blogging. Sometimes all at the same time! *wink, wink*

5 things I would never wear: A trucker hat. Also, a swastika, a KKK robe, an “I heart George W. Bush” t-shirt, or anything that is hateful or represents hate or intolerance.

5 TV shows I like: the Daily Show; $40 a Day; Iron Chef America; Queer Eye; Saturday Night Live.

5 Movies I like: The Princess Bride; When Harry Met Sally; Amelie; Grease; Lolita.

5 famous people I’d like to meet: I will limit this to people who are actually alive, even though the people I’d most like to meet are now dead. Bill Clinton; Tim Burton; Paul Simon; the Monty Python boys; Erica Hill (from CNN Headline News – have you seen her? She is so freaking adorable!)

5 biggest joys at the moment: Husband, our 3 kids, the cat. Also, not being in school right now seriously gives me joy!

5 favorite toys: I don’t have many “toys”. I want some though (digital camera, iPod, Tivo). Here’s all I’ve got at the moment: A pink, fancy koosh ball that is on my desk; my knitting needles and yarn; my son’s Sony PSP that he left at my house; and … my car, I do love my car and that is kind of a toy. It’s got a 9 speaker Harmon/Kardon sound system, people! It is my favorite place to listen to music.

5 comment(s):

Beth Orton rocks!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:23 PM  

I have been lucky enough to have NOT been tagged! lol...But that's so interesting to know how you found your hubby! :) I love sories like that!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:59 PM  

OK, this is NOT going to be brief because there's so much goodness to comment on...

You lived in Hawaii? I. Am. Jealous. Misty and I honeymooned there, and we would have given up vital organs to have stayed longer than 10 days.

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is going to Seattle. Although, being at that weird age, it might actually be very good for both of you and strengthen your relationship down the line. I'll keep both of you in my thoughts.

Happy birthday to Mr. Q. I'll have to shoot him an email later today.

I feel your pain on catching up at work. I'm still catching up a week after taking a week off. Scary, scary paperwork!

I love your take on tomorrow. If I hadn't already posted mine, I would like to adopt your view of "today is what matters". Bravo for you!

OK, you like the Smiths and Morrissey? We are now better friends. Love. It. I might have to whip out a few tunes this Saturday at my gig for ya.

Are you sure you wouldn't wear an "I heart W" shirt? You seem *soooooo* conservative to me. (Please read with dripping sarcasm).

$40-a-Day? Love it. Just discovered it, in fact. Isn't Rachael Ray just the cutest little bean in the world? They just did San Diego the other day, so I've got a few new places to try.

Two of your movies are on my list as well. There is just nothing better in this world than "The Princess Bride". Well, sure there is, but you know what I mean.

Listening to music in the car. Ahhh, I should have put that as a toy. It's really the only place I get a chance to listen, so I tend to drive around a little extra just to get that favorite tune in. I can never stop the car unless I've finished listening to the song. I myself have a 9-speaker Bose system in my car, so the quality is outstanding.

All in all, I feel ya. Good stuff, Q. Truly.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:11 AM  

You forgot Poland... I mean Pop Tarts (5 snacks I enjoy).

G

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:36 PM  

Wow! You have a cat named Pi? So does my friend Jen! (Well, Pi is the first syllable.) She had a very controversial contest to help name her cat. Please visit this post and this followup post on my blog and leave a comment!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:40 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home