kitty pi

Thursday, June 30, 2005

You're Welcome!

Embarrassing confession of the day:

Many times a day, I get phone calls wherein someone asks me to do something and I agree and then before they even say thank you, I say you're welcome. It goes something like this:

Ms. Q: "Hello, [el Jefe's] office."
CEO: "Hi, [Ms. Q] is [el Jefe] there?"
Me: "No, he's not in his office right now, would you like to leave a message?"
CEO: "Just tell him I am returning his call."
Me: "Okay! I'll give him the message!"
CEO: "Okay, great."
Me: "You're welcome!"
Doh! I don't mean to say it prematurely, it's just automatic. It's a conditioned response that I give just before I hang up. Sometimes the caller will say, "I appreciate it" and then I say, "You're welcome" but that doesn't really make sense either, does it? I didn't go to finishing school or anything, but it feels like the only appropriate combination is Thank you/You are welcome.

Here is where I need help. I think these are appropriate combinations but I second-guess myself all the time. After all, just because they are in wide usage, doesn't make them correct or appropriate.

Them/Me
Thanks/My Pleasure
Great/Great
I appreciate it / No problem (my least favorite)

Ack. It's driving me crazy. It feels like my mouth is made up but my mind is undone! And speaking of Elvis Costello quotes, here's another fitting one for today: I would rather be anywhere else than here today.

If I don't see you all before Tuesday, be sure to check out Moo Alex where I will be a GuestBlogger on Sunday, July 3rd while she is on vacation. Also, have a happy and safe Fourth of July! I'll be back here Tuesday at the latest, hung over and possibly sunburned. Won't we all? Toodles, y'all!

4 comment(s):

I often thank the client when they asked ME for help! I always feel so stupid afterwards but at least I am polite!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:38 PM  

I do the same thing!! Usually it's "You too!" Like if I'm expecting someone to say "have a good day" but instead they say "Enjoy your coffee." lol..

I've found that "Anytime!" works in most cases.
"Thanks!"
"Anytime"

Or "Absolutely"

Or..you could just at "very."

"You're very welcome!"

haha...ok...you get the point.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:58 PM  

HAPPY 4th!!! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:10 AM  

Just stay away from "Uh huh."

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:39 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home