kitty pi

Thursday, July 07, 2005

More Firsts For Me

You know I love it when I do something for the first time. All the time, things happen to me for the first time and I go "Hmm. I can't believe I never did that before!" Today is no exception.

First first: I donated blood. I've never done it before, although I've tried plenty of times. I used to organize the blood drive where I worked before, so it seemed only fair that I do the thing that I was asking other people to do. Alas, I was either too skinny, too anemic, or too otherwise whacked out so that the kind Red Cross people always politely said 'thanks, but no thanks'.

Today was different! I have put on a few pounds (in a good way) and I am not anemic or otherwise whacked out. That was great. But... then I got kind of scared. As in, oh my god, I have to actually go through with this. What if I faint?! The good news is I didn't faint. It was easy and painless and I got a jumbo bag of chips and cookies to eat later. Also, it's blurry in the photo, but I got a button that says "It's My First Time". Woot! How cool is that?

So, for my PSA today, if you can, you should donate blood. Today we had an Emergency Blood Drive where I work because apparently there is a severe blood shortage everywhere. I feel good that I donated.

Second first: I am guest posting at Pesky'Apostrophe. She is one of the reasons I started blogging (and knitting come to think of it) so I am really honored. The thing is, it's kind of hard to write with your own voice on someone else's site. I'll have to keep working on that! So, go check me out. I might get famous after this! But I won't forget all the people who have been there for me all along. I promise.

7 comment(s):

I have always wanted to donate but I am on antidepressants and nobody can seem to tell me whether or not I can donate.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:25 PM  

Here you go, barbara:

You Can Donate Blood!

Looks like you're OK to donate blood, after all. It's so nice that you started doing this Ms. Q, I'm thinking about doing it myself now... keep you posted if I pluck up the courage!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:03 AM  

i was always a mess when the damn blood-mobile came to my high school. my friends were all gung ho and i was shrivelled in a corner, clutching the insides of my elbows. big fear, that whole blood/needle thing.
in other words, good for you for doing it - i'd applaud you if my arms weren't freaked out just from reading this post ;)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:19 AM  

I've only donated once - when I was 18 - but I passed right out and have been scared to do it ever since.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:00 AM  

Needles and I are not friends. The last time somebody tried to take my blood, they had to wave smelling salts in front of my nose to keep me from passing out. That and I managed to cold-sweat through every piece of clothing I was wearing at the time. However, for a good cause I might be able to muster some huevos.

On another note; my, oh, my, you have been quite the little guest blogger as of late! Good! Everyone could use a little Q in their daily reading.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:10 AM  

Congratulations! I lost my virginity last August and only got a "It's my first time" sticker :( I feel ripped off - I want a pin too!
BTW - I had to wait until I gained enough weight too...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:13 AM  

Found your blog through my blog which was found through rude catctus :)

WTG you for donating.. I've never had the guts to do it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:26 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home