kitty pi

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

"Bi" the way: a problem of amBIguity

In a fit of writer's block, I am publishing grammar tips that you may find useful. I use these in a monthly meeting segment at work. Here is the first one:

Q: Does bimonthly mean "twice a month" or "every two weeks"?
A: It means both! The same ambiguity affects biweekly and biyearly.

Bi- means "two" and it also means "twice". Therefore, if you have a contract where a task is specified to occur at bimonthly intervals, you may have a real problem when the client expects you to perform the task twice monthly, but you only plan to do it once every other month.

In order to be absolutely clear, use a phrase such as "twice a week", "twice monthly" or whatever. Just say it the way it is.

Here's the caveat: In publishing, the prefix bi- is consistent: a bimonthly is published every two months and a biweekly is published every two weeks. In science and some other fields, bi- is usually quite specific so there is no need to alter your usage.

BONUS material:
Pet peeves of mine: Acrossed (Acrost) - There is no such word (to my knowledge). Across is a preposition. Crossed is a verb. Please do not fuse or confuse these two different words.

Nuclear - is pronounced noo-kle-ar, not nu-kyo-lar, contrary to our beloved POTUS's preferred pronunciation. (Thanks to Rude Cactus for being so specific. I was trying to sum up and I screwed up instead).

Should have, Could have, Would have... not "should of", "could of" or "would of".

Irregardless - don't even get me started on that one!

5 comment(s):

Ms. Q.,

Priceless, as usual. I am somewhat of a grammar hound myself. I try to hold back so as not to offend, but some people are just frickin' idiots.

"Should of"? I mean, come on, people. Think about what you're trying to say. Do those two words go together? "Irregardless"? Hmmm, wrong again. Did anyone stop to consider that they are self-negating their own statement by adding a negative prefix? I don't think so. "Nuclear"? If it was meant to be pronounced "nucular" it would have been spelled that way, yes? Basic science, people. It is not a "nuculus", it is a nucleus. And this from the guy who's got his finger on the button.

You know what bugs me the most about this crap? The people who should know better (i.e. the CEO of my company) don't, and I have spend my time proofreading their memos before they make public asses out of themselves.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:56 PM  

Ok, I have to be a real asshat here...nuclear is actually three syllables, its the pronunciation of the final two syllables that screws up POTUS. The explanation for the mispronunciation is actually well explained on dictionary.com. I'll leave now...sorry for refuting your post!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:56 PM  

Thanks, Rude! You are correct. And I stand corrected! I actually was trying to condense the point, got in a hurry and didn't think it through. Still, you knew what I meant!

Thanks for doing to me what I do to others ALL THE TIME.

Wow, that doesn't feel very good.

Humbly yours,
Ms.Q

By Blogger Anita, at 3:05 PM  

Awww, I didn't mean it to be some great grammar smackdown! I read the entry and thought to myself that it didn't sound right. So I did a little checking. I did, however, know what you meant - major peeve on my part too!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:48 AM  

sadly, some people consider irregardless to be a word. me? i think i should be allowed to shoot anybody who says it.

same goes for "supposably". grr.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:25 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home