kitty pi

Friday, February 18, 2005

Je ne suis pas stupide!

UPDATE: last night before class, I actually ate something (a gigantic, and quite tasty, cheeseburger) and it made a HUGE difference. The synapses were firing, I understood what was going on, and I actually cared. My exam was not a complete and utter disaster, only a minor disaster. I will do better next time. I know it's common sense to eat dinner at dinner time, but due to a variety of circumstances, I've just gotten accustomed to having a latte before class and trudging through on a semi-empty stomach.

So, the moral of this story is that sometimes you learn more from going to school than you actually learn at school.


I am crazy busy today but I can't resist posting at least once.

I have a French test tonight and I am so not going to ace it. I am not even sure I will pass it. I am normally a very good student but I am not a good studier (don't correct my grammar - I know what I am saying). Most classes I've taken so far (lower division stuff) have been really easy; I just pay attention in class, I take great notes, and I understand new concepts fairly easily. Taking exams does not give me anxiety, usually.

However, French 3 is kicking my butt (and I don't even know how to say that in french). It's a lot of hours per week (6), it's late at night (7-10), I usually don't eat a proper dinner so I am usually hungry - and, hello, what do we talk about most in French class? Food, of course. - and it's not something I get to practice every single day.

French 3 is like Algebra to my brain. It needs to be practiced a lot and I need a lot of help correcting my mistakes. We had a quiz last week, Jeopardy style (but in French, "Jeopardy" sounds kind of like Geo Par Tea). It was really difficult for me and I am not used to being so challenged in school! I only got 10/20 points. I know, poor me. How will I cope?

Here's the really aggravating part: half of the class consists of high school students (AP, Ivy-league-bound types with perfect pronunciation), and the other half of the class are ladies of leisure who are taking French for fun and have 8 hours a day to devote to studying their French and doing their homework, and paying private French tutors. I do not fall into either of those categories. Even if I had 8 hours a day, I wouldn't spend it doing my homework.

So, I guess I will have to just do my best and accept that I am not and will not always be the brightest student in the class. Or the hardest working. Or the most disciplined. Hey! That's just like work! How about that?!

6 comment(s):

you want some practice? watch all your DVDs in French (well, the ones that offer it, anyways). with, of course, French subtitles.

or... if you drive around a lot (i have an hour-long commute myself), get those language CDs and keep 'em in your car. hell, that's an hour a day you could be practicing your French, right?

or, you could go the easy route and just not care... (:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:13 AM  

Good luck! I tried to learn a bit of French...then went to France and pointed instead. But I'm with you on algebra. Algebra always kicked my ass.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:11 PM  

Good luck! I tried to learn a bit of French...then went to France and pointed instead. But I'm with you on algebra. Algebra always kicked my ass.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:11 PM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:14 PM  

I'd love to learn French, but I haven't made the time yet. I'm brushing up my Spanish currently, but I do have a "Jiffy Phrase" book in French I can send ya! It's small, good for cheating ;)

au revoir!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:07 PM  

Thanks, Gweny! I will use all the help I can get.

By Blogger Anita, at 1:18 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home