kitty pi

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Efficiency-schmefficiency

Say that 5 times fast! Ha!

This is a such a gem, I could not pass up the opportunity even though I was going to try to leave le bureau out of this blog.

One day, a man, we'll call him Yosemite Sam, emailed a senior level manager (SLM) and asked him to set up a conference call. Soon thereafter, Yosemite called a junior professional staff member (JP) and asked her to set up (the same) conference call. JP emails me, and asks me to set up the aforementioned conference call. I then email the whole team and say the following:
"I see that Person A asked Person B to set up a conference call. Person C also asked me to set up a conference call. I don't want to duplicate anyone's effort so I am just checking to see if this call has already been set up."

SLM responds that Yosemite's assistant was going to set that up. Hello. I am Yosemite's assistant and Yosemite never actually asked me to set up anything.

I call Yosemite just now and say "I am trying to understand who wants this conference call and who is supposed to set it up".

Yosemite says "I asked SLM to set up the conference call and then he called me and asked me to ask JP to set up the conference call."

I say "Well, JP asked me to set up the conference call. One person is not available so what do you want to do, reschedule?"

"No, we need to have this call. Call the other person back and see when they are available."

Okey-dokey. Let's see, it takes 4 different people to set up a conference call which will include only 4 people, 3 of which are the same.

Isn't that HILARIOUS? Aren't you totally envious of me and my position?! I know you want to apply for a job like mine right now. You can't. It's a really special job only for really special people. And if you think by "special" I mean "retarded", you would be right.

I LOVE being a secretary. It's so much fun to intercept cryptic messages and interpret conflicting data. It's almost like being a secret agent. Intrigue! Excitement! Danger!

It's also like being a psychic. I get to read minds. Just call me Madame Quilty, Psychic Extraordinaire, Mistress of the Mystical, Predictor of the Profound. I actually didn't realize ESP was required for this job, because in order to know you need ESP you have to have ESP since they purposely leave it off of the job description.

Even though the sun is shining (as has been pointed out by about a million people) and I am not complaining, I should have stayed in bed today!







1 comment(s):

oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense...

in Bizarro world.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:17 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home