kitty pi

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

E-mail forwarding paradox hell

Egads! I was trying to be clever yesterday and reduce the e-mail accounts I use by one. I have two gmail accounts and they are awesome but now I've put myself into an e-mail forwarding paradox from which I don't know how to escape!

Normally, I have certain e-mail sent to a specific account (ms.quilty at gmail dot com) which forwards the mail to another account (none of your business at gmail dot com). If I feel like responding, I will reply from the non-of-your-business account which is generally for family and friends only. Apparently this has confused more than one person. So, I decided to streamline by forwarding email from my personal account with my real name to my blogging account which has my nom de plume. Are you thoroughly confused yet? If you are still reading this, you deserve a medal of honor or something.

So, I went into my personal account and selected "forwarding" and entered the other address. Clicked "Save Changes". Voila. C'est simple! I then went into the ms.quilty account and selected "Disable Forwading". Clicked "Save Changes". Nothing. I can't disable this for the life of me. I've tried everything I can think of short of throwing the computer out of the window. The funny part is that every time I save the changes, gmail tells me that my preferences have been saved! It's like a controlling parent now, telling me what my preferences are. The nerve! Well, that's just terrific! Now I have two email accounts forwarding email to each other and archiving the mail so now I don't know about new mail unless I go into the archive.

You would think that I could go back into the personal account and disable the forwarding there right? Then I would be back where I started which would be okay because it was working for me pretty well. Needless to say (I'm saying it anyway), the damn thing is stuck too! I cannot disable fowarding on either account now.

I already searched FAQ's and I don't find this particular problem mentioned. I will have to e-mail the help desk and hope I get the reply!

In other gmail news, I have 50 invitations. I am quite sure that everybody has an account by now but if you'd like one just let me know. More importantly, if you have had this problem or know how to escape, please please please let me know!

mwah!


Update: as of March 16th, the problem in gmail has been corrected. Now, I can disable forwarding!

2 comment(s):

i search using yahoo on "gmail disable forwarding" n reached ur site.. yep.. i am facing the same problem too.. it works for me last yr (i mean disable it) but it doesnt now.. the only way i did was to change the forward address to something else.. like a@a.com and it stops forwarding to ur other account.. it works, at least till google work something out..

ps: pls dun reply cuz i dun think i will reach this site to read again :)

however, if u can.. add me friendster?

h y p e r m o d e r n i s t

@hotmail.com


best regards
KCL
Singapore

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:56 AM  

thank u 4 the post. now i know i'm not crazy. same thing is happening 2 me.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:59 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home