kitty pi

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Stop the Insanity

As I was saying, I've been watching endless coverage of Terri Schiavo for the past 4 days. As, you must know by now, unless you've been living under a rock, the latest round of news is that the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals has voted not to reinsert the feeding tube. Of course, this means that the parents are going to try to appeal to the Supreme Court. And probably Jeb Bush will try to get involved. Again. This really hard to watch. The "right" seems to think that by withholding nutrition and hydration, someone is playing "god". I think by inserting the feeding tube in the first place, someone was playing god. If nature had taken its course, she should have died 15 years ago.

I hope Terri Schiavo gets some peace soon. She deserves to die with dignity (we all do). By intervening again, no one is helping her they are just prolonging the inevitable.

7 comment(s):

look, a related comic strip.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:29 AM  

I am usually on the right - except when it comes to issues like this - like you said - they played "god" when they put a breathing tube in the first place.

Nice to meet you ms. quilty!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:37 AM  

Amen, Sister Q.! I had the same thought on my blog a while back. All these people talking about God and "His time to take people away". Well, who are we to say that wasn't 15 years ago? We're (well, not "we", per se) the ones who intervened. And they say we're trying to play God by pulling the tube. Pshaw! Someone's got a complex!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:06 PM  

Couldn't agree with you more. This whole ordeal has prompted us to (finally) makes plans to get our living wills done.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:41 PM  

I whole heartedly agree - but then again, if it was me, I'd want someone to play god, well at least just for a few months to allow me a chance to recover (if possible). I guess that's what living wills are for, right?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:25 AM  

Couldn't agree with you more. And Jeb did try something interesting which clearly backfired. It sounds like they're getting desperate.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:21 AM  

Hey mikey,

That's a great comic strip and the T-SHIRTS are awesome!!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home