kitty pi

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Big Mooch Strikes Again

Ms. Q reporting here from her desk where she eats lunch everyday and sometimes works, but usually she just writes a blog post. Working at a rather large professional firm has one definite advantage - free lunch. More days than not, someone has a lunch meeting and, more days than not, there are leftovers. It seems that at least one meeting per day has catered food brought in, and I am lucky smart enough to know that 1:00 is mooching time. I have perfected the Art of Mooching, so if you need any pointers, feel free to ask me!

It's like the Lunchtime Lotto around here. I never know what I'm going to get. It could be fabulous, so-so, or nothing. As in "You'll get nothing and like it!"

Anyway, one o'clock comes and I'm on the hunt. First stop, Big Kitchen. On good days, there is hot lunch. And, I'm not talking school-cafeteria-lunch style. These lunches are catered by Famous Restaurants and Top Notch Local Restaurants. Mmmm. Other days, it's kind of hohum, sandwiches or wraps. Not bad, but not a big meal. Then again, I am a Vulturette so I can't complain. Somedays there is nothing or by the time I get there, all the other Scavengers have beat me to it and all that's left are scraps. Depending on how hungry I am and how unmotivated I am to go out, I have been known to eat scraps.

I know this all makes me sound really classy and attractive like a complete loser, but I feel like I am doing my part to keep good food from going to waste and I am saving a buck or two (or ten) on lunch.

What's on the menu today? Sandwich fixin's and potato salad. I made myself a pastrami and cheddar on rye sandwich with a little stoneground mustard and some mayo. Black olives and artichoke hearts on the side and a small helping of potato salad. I am not a big potato fan, but I am sure there is some nutritional value there that my afternoon latte won't provide me.

Thanks for joining my culinary adventure today. I might make this a daily feature, you know, like this blog What I Wore, but it will be 'what free food I scored today'. I'll spare you from pictures. Maybe.

2 comment(s):

LOL at this. Reminds me of a friend in grad school who barely ever had his own lunch but always managed b/c there were these sorts of things in the building or one of us had half a sandwich or something we couldn't finish.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:26 PM  

that what i wore dude seriously needs some more pants. and an iron. and more pants. or, does he have a billion pairs of wrinkly khakis?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:31 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home