kitty pi

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Happy Solstice!

For those in the know, it's solstice today. Being the non-hemisphere-centric person that I am, I am wishing everyone a happy solstice, be it summer or winter!

If you are in the northern hemisphere it's Summer Solstice - the longest day of the year. I've always thought that a bit misleading, though. The day isn't longer in time, it's just longer in sunlight. Unless you are somewhere cloudy and then it doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

If you are in the southern hemisphere, then I am guessing it is Winter Solstice - the shortest day of the year, again a bit of a misnomer.

And if you are in the Arctic Circle - the sun won't be going down for a while! How cool is that? I would love to see that once in my life.

Antarctica - you'll be plunged into never-ending darkness for a little while! Which makes me wonder: do penguins have night vision?

So, celebrate in whatever way you choose. Personally, the coolest thing I've ever done was go to the Fremont Fair and Solstice Parade in Seattle, the three years that I lived there. This year it took place last weekend and I don't live anywhere near there but if you get a chance you should go one year! If anyone did go this year, tell me if the Nekkid Bicyclists are still participating.

3 comment(s):

I feel so ashamed. I just did a whole post sort of dedicated to it being the summer solstice without even considering the thought that it's the winter solstice for some, and I'm from the southern hemisphere! Shoot me now.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:38 PM  

i know someone who went to the fair...

well, i don't know know her... not like, personally.

hey, speaking of fairs... when's the last time you've been to the Del Mar fair?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:13 PM  

And a happy solstice to you as well!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:41 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home