kitty pi

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Traditions for the Non-traditional

Today is very special, indeed! One year ago, at exactly 4:20 p.m. , I married my best friend and lov-ah, the fabulous Mr. Q. We'd already been partners for several years but we made it official 365 days ago. Well, 364 days, 19 hours, 54 minutes and 38 seconds ago to be absolutely precise. And, if anybody knows how much I like precision, it's Mr. Q!

If you aren't sure yet, we are a tad bit unconventional. I mean, normally we just don't do things the normal way. That means observing traditions is a mixed bag with us. We are more likely to make up a new one than to follow an old one, but we need a point of reference in order to blaze that new trail.

We have a piece of our wedding cake in our freezer. Since I never had a wedding cake before, I don't really know how this is supposed to go. You are supposed to eat the piece today, right? Does whipped cream freeze and thaw well? Are we going to get food poisoning? I would hate for today to end with vomiting!

As for gifts, tradition dictates paper as the gift. That's easy. I have a post-it note pad right here. Happy Anniversary, Baby! But modern times say a clock is the appropriate gift for the 1st anniversary. We have enough clocks and watches already and my budget won't allow for anything too extravagant anyway. I even have a clock made from paper already so I can't do that. I guess I could draw a clock on a piece of paper and present it with a lovely quote about the timelessness of our love. That's probably been done before.

Anyway, it's a moot point now - I decided last night what to do for the gift. Since my Mr. reads this blog, I can't tell you what it is until tomorrow. It has nothing to do with paper or clocks but it does involve something green.

To my baby - Happy Anniversary!

To the rest of you - toodles!

7 comment(s):

Ms. Q,
I must say you are really funny and I highly enjoy reading what you have to say (I've read your blog for a few weeks now). I know nothing of anniversaries, so I won't comment on that. But, your idea to draw a clock on a post it note is a funny one, even if not realistic, hehehe. Thanks for the entertaining read :)

Ashley

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:52 PM  

Why don't you draw a clock on the piece of paper - but instead of some smarmy poem about the timelessness of your love, do the Quilty thing and say something like: "Time to get your butt in bed and celebrate!" (and if you feel the need to throw a paper comment in there, you'll have to think about that on your own, 'cause I'm not that clever).

Congrats and Happy Anniversary!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:57 PM  

Funny story. We had flowers on our wedding cake. When they wrapped it up, they left the flowers on. Of course we didn't know that until our year anniversary when we opened up the frozen cake a found a lump of frozen green sludge. We didn't eat it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:22 PM  

Happy anniversary, Mr. and Ms. Q!!!

Changing the subject...
I'm looking for opinions about blog trolls on my post today at Mooalex. I'd like to know what you think if you have the time. Thanks!
LJ

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:01 AM  

When I was a child I inherited a piece of cake from my great grandmother's wedding. It had never been frozen, just crystalized with age.

I licked it once. It didn't taste like anything.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:48 AM  

Happy Anniversary! damn, I knew I shoulda stopped by while I was in the area.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:43 PM  

Congrats! For our 1st anniversary he gave me a gift certificate for a pre-natal massage, and I gave him a gift certificate to go on a flight in a warplane (we went to a warplane museum during our "honeymoon").

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:03 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home