kitty pi

Thursday, July 28, 2005

to my lovely daughter who has flown the coop (much too soon)

I miss you.

I miss waiting for what seemed like hours while you straigtened your long hair and put on your make-up and then got dressed in the morning so we could rush out the door and then sit in frustratingly slow traffic and get you to school right when the bell rang.

I miss the way you walk really, r-e-a-l-l-y slowly even though you knew you'd be tardy if you didn't run to class.

I miss being able to borrow your shoes.

I miss the annoyed look you would give me when I stared at you and said "wow, you’re gorgeous".

I miss all of your annoyed looks! Ahhh. Teen angst. I remember it well.

I miss the way you always asked me if I had any gum, even though 9 times out of 10 I said 'no'.

I miss how you would constantly tell me to quit smoking.

I miss how you would automatically change the radio station in the car without asking. You know how much I love your music especially the R&B and hip-hop!

I miss the way you would always be sitting like a lump on the couch, with BET or MTV blaring at top volume when I got home from work. Or how you would be playing computer games, with iTunes blaring and the tv on. And how you would totally not notice me with my arms full of groceries and a purse and a latte struggling to open the door even though you were sitting right there looking out the window at me.

I miss telling you to turn down the tv.

I miss hearing the loud banging of cupboard doors and the sound of your spoon clanking on your cereal bowl. I even miss the mess you'd leave in the kitchen.

I also miss hearing the shower running every night. For 30 minutes. You take some epic showers, girl!

I miss asking you if you have any homework (to which you always say 'no' or 'I've already done it' which we both knew was totally not true!)

I miss the following oft-asked questions: "what are we having for dinner?" "what are we doing this weekend?" "when are you going to sign me up for driver's ed?" "can you get me notebook paper?" "when can we go shopping?"

I even miss the way you harassed the cat until he meowed and then you did it some more.

I know I am still your mom, and I know that you didn’t move because you hate me. I know life is a drag sometimes and I know how much a change of scenery can be the most excellent and exciting thing. I know you will love living with your Dad and his whole house full of girls. I know you will do well and have fun. I know that I will see you in December for the holidays. I know you are growing up faster than my brain and my heart can process it. And soon you’ll be moving off to college or some other grand adventure anyway. But still.

This is just to say, life is not the same without you.

2 comment(s):

That was beautiful. I hope you're doing OK really- I can't imagine being on the Mom side of that one. I was the kid always wanting to move on... funny thing was, I always came back.

Good luck.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:48 PM  

Very nice sentiments, Q. I really felt that. I'm already having those feelings about my kids, and they're only infants. Ah, the joys and sorrows (read more joys) of parenthood.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:02 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home